Happenings at Sri Sri University.
1. February 2017@SSU
- The Department of Architecture was abuzz with one activity or the other in the month of February. It began with Dr. Geeta Vidyanathan’s workshop on Solar Cookers that was organised for the 1st and 2nd Year students. Mr. Sanjeet Kumar Behera and his team from Practical Action, India, demonstrated how to assemble solar cookers.
- Later in the month, faculty members of the department (Dr. Geeta Vaidyanathan, Mr. R. K. Raja, Mr. Rajiv Gupta, Ms. Rupal Shah and Ms. Alankrita Nandy) coordinated a 10-day study tour to Pondicherry for our students. During the tour they received hands-on training on glass-sculpting, carpentry and pottery as well as interacting during talks delivered by luminaries like Dr. Benny Kuriakose, Ar. Mona Doctor Pingle, Mr. Ashok Panda, Mr. Francois Gautier and Dr. Chamanlal Gupta. Also, they had the unique opportunity to visit the Lieutenant Governor of Pondicherry, Dr. Kiran Bedi, one of the most decorated and well-known police officers of the country.
- In-between all these activities, the faculty members also delivered lectures of their own. Ar. Shakti Nanda, Associate Professor in the Department of Architecture of SSU, lectured and conducted a workshop on wildlife photography for the Forestry Students of the Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneshwar, on 17th February. Prof. Srilakshmi Swamy, Head of the Department, addressed the students of College of Engineering and Technology (CET) who were visiting our campus on 15th February. On 13th February, 2017, Prof. Srilakshmi Swamy and Ar. Shakti Nanda finalised the design and execution of the proposed Rock Garden in the Department of Geology of Utkal University, Vani Vihar, as part of the Consultancy Cell Activity.
- The Department of Good Governance and Public Policy began the Year 2017 with the much awaited National Conference on Good Governance—Then, Now and Beyond, in collaboration with the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) on 4th and 5th of February. The grand success of the event is reflected by the sheer number of participants not only from the length and breadth of the country but also from abroad. Dr. Vijayalakshmi Mohanty, faculty in the Department, was the Convenor of the National Conference while Dr. Aditi Tyagi was the Master of Ceremonies
- Dr. Pratima Sarangi, Head of the Department of Good Governance and Public Policy, co-authored a paper with her research scholar, Ms. Abhipsa Mohanty, which was presented at the National Conference on HR at the Xavier University, Bhubaneshwar. This paper secured the first prize and was awarded with a cash prize of R 10,000.
- Dr. Aditi Tyagi, faculty in the Department, presented a paper entitled, Climate Smart Adaptation—An Integral Dimension of Disaster and Risk Management at the National Conference. She also served as the Judge in the Elocution Contest held on the occasion of Matribhasha Diwas, observed on 21st February.
- On 21st February, Prof. Leon Monroe Miller of Tallinn University of Technology, Estonia, delivered a lecture on Value Creation: An Integrative Strategy for Performance Improvement in the Department.
- The Training and Placement Department had their hands full of activities in February. Mr. Avelo Rao, Co-founder and CEO of Kolkata Ventures visited the University to recruit our students. Also, we sent our students to Pool Campus Recruitment Drives at four different locations. Mr. Siddhant Gupta of Titu Prints organised a workshop on LinkedIn. Some of the companies who have hired our 2016–2018 batch students for summer internship include Britannia, UHG, Tata Motors, Maruti, Bharat Forge, PWC, Stock Holding Corporation, Talent Corner, Broadvision, Airtel, Vodafone, Money Masters, BigBasket.
- The Faculty of Management Studies organised the StartUp Forerunner 2017 on 25th and 26th February, 2017. Dr. Namita Rath was the Resource Person of the deliberation on ‘New Mandates of HRM’ at the HR Conclave held at Srusti Academy of Management, Bhubaneswar. Dr. Puspalata Mahapatra presented two papers at the National Seminar organised by Fakir Mohan University, Balasore, on 12th and 13th February. The papers were entitled: ‘Growth, Development and Prospects of India vis-à-vis Odisha Tourism’ and ‘Tourism of Odisha: An Integrator of Make in India—An Empirical Study’. Dr. Subash Chandra Nath presented a paper at the 37th All Odisha Commerce Conference held at Fakir Mohan University, Balasore, Odisha, and attended a workshop on Multivariate Analysis for Research organised by ASBM, Bhubaneshwar. Dr. Nath also submitted two research papers: Religiosity, CSR Attitude and CSR Behaviour: An Empirical Study on SMEs of Ganjam District, Odisha, a research paper submitted and in peer review process in the “International Journal of Indian Culture and Business Management”. An Inderscience Journal; and Intrinsic and Extrinsic Religiosity, SMEs Executives’ Attitude and Behaviour Towards CSR in Odisha, a research paper submitted and in the peer review process in – “International Journal of Corporate Social Responsibility”, Springer Open Access International Journal.
- CA Vijaya Batth’s paper, ‘Growth, Development and Prospects of India vis-à-vis Odisha Tourism Industry’ was presented at the National Seminar organised by the Department of Management, Fakir Mohan University, Balasore, on 12th February, 2017.
- The students of the Department of Yoga secured the 3rd prize in the Yoga Presentation at the National Natural Food Festival (NNFF) and Yoga and Naturopathy Seminar - 2017 at Janata Maidan, Bhubaneshwar, on 10th February.
- Some students of the Yoga Department also had the unique opportunity to take Yoga classes for the NDRF (National Disaster Response Force) staff at Mundali, Cuttack, from the 1st to the 28th of February.
2. 10th ASSOCHAM HIGHER EDUCATION SUMMIT 2017 Building Entrepreneurial Ecosystem: Role and Contribution of Universities & NATIONAL EXCELLENCE AWARDS 2017
Sri Sri University is the proud recipient of the BEST UNIVERSITY - TRENDSETTING SYNTHESIZER OF TRADITIONAL AND GLOBAL OUTLOOK at the 10th ASSOCHAM Higher Education Summit, 2017, which was held on 23rd February, 2017, at Hotel Imperial, New Delhi. The Chief Guest at the awards ceremony was Dr. Prakash Javdekar, Hon’ble Minister for Human Resource Development, Govt. of India. The occasion was attended by the Who’s-Who of the Academia and the Indian Industry.
The awards were given out by Mr. Sandeep Jajodia, President of ASSOCHAM, as the Hon’ble Minister had to leave early due to some important work. ‘The entrepreneurship ecosystem has emerged as a strategic approach focussing primarily on broad-based high impact strategies and practices that are oriented towards creating meaningful kinship between entrepreneurship, sustained economic growth and improved wellbeing. It is a response to dealing with existing youth unemployment and financial crises in developed economies and is becoming a futuristic response to developing countries to coping up well with dynamics of economic change thus to moving a way forward from individual based to group/community based entrepreneurial development. Shrinking state of public funds, emerging competitive trends in world market, educated youth unemployment, growing demand for humanitarian thoughts imbibed with equity and equality, drawing maximum benefits from ICT, and aspiration for reaching to zone of proximity in terms of human resource development and national growth— are primary challenges before our economy that demand serious attention . On the other hand, our country is set to witness highest youth population in its history within few years, and proper education and adequate training young adults can possibly influence our economy aggressively. In order to translate vision of the present national government led by Honourable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi Ji, government at central and state levels, non-governmental sectors and industrial sectors (through CSR) have prioritised skill development programmes in their perspective plans. Within the backdrop, it has become imperative on the part of policy makers and academia for making assiduous attempt to adopt entrepreneurial ecosystems in education system and especially at tertiary level of education to raise employability for sustained economic growth’.
The summit focussed on the following major areas:
1. Employability and the 21st Century Competencies: Emerging roles of Universities
2. Entrepreneurial Ecosystems in HEIs: Trends in Global and Local Contexts
3. Entrepreneurial Ecosystems in HEIs: SWOT Analysis
4. Entrepreneurial Ecosystems in HEIs: Need for Policy and Action Plan
5. Entrepreneurship Culture fostering in Research, Innovation and in Higher Education to make India a Nation of Job Creators instead of Job Seekers.
3. Matribhasha Diwas 2017
On the occasion of Matribhasha Diwas 2017 at Sri Sri University students from all departments enthusiastically participated in competitions and enthralled all with their spirit of unity in diversity. Two events were conducted, elocution (extempore) in the respective regional languages of the students and regional folk dance representing the ethnic and cultural dance forms of India.
Over 20 students participated in extempore in nine languages and 10 teams presented wonderful dance forms from seven regions.
Dr Nand Lal, Vice-Chancellor, inaugurated the event by narrating a thought provoking poem in Hindi and the Dean (FMS) (Acting), Dr. J Mahapatra, addressed the audience in Oriya and spoke on the importance of usage of mother tongue. Prof Juan of the Osteopathy Department, who hails from Argentina, sang a mesmerising Spanish song and opened the proceedings for the day.
The entire event displayed the immense potential of students and their enthusiasm for celebrating Matribhasha Diwas. Dr. Shilpi Mishra, HOD of Sanskrit and CA Vijaya Batth, Asst. Professor from FMS were the co-ordinators of the event.
4. Sri Sri University receives the Best Innovative University Award
Smt. Mridula Sinha, Her Excellency Governor of Goa, conferred the Best Innovative University Award. Prof Srinivas Subbarao, the Executive Registrar, received the award at the National Education Excellence Awards 2017 in Goa, on behalf of the University. The Second National Education Summit and Educational Excellence Awards 2017 was organised at the Goa International Centre by College2Campus, a leading Educational Fair and Convention organiser.
5. Sri Sri University awarded as ‘Agro Idol’, Second Best Institution in Agri-business Management.
The students of Sri Sri University’s MBA (Agri-Business) department, A. Bibhu Prasad Prusti and Aarchi Aggarwal secured Rank 2 in the National level competition of Agro Idol 2016, India’s first and only
business quiz contest for Agri Business Management Students conducted by The HR Club, on 4th August 2016.
6. Dr. R. Seetharaman, CEO - Doha Bank, Sri Sri University’s first batch PhD Scholar conferred with the prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award.
Dr. R. Seetharaman, CEO of Doha Bank was recognized and conferred by the Government of India with the prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award [PBSA].
The PBSA is the highest honor conferred on overseas Indians by the Government of India in recognition of their achievements and contributions both in India and abroad.
Shri Pranab Mukherjee, Honorable President of India, handed over the Award citation and the gold medallion to Dr. Seetharaman at the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention
in Bangalore on January 9, 2017.
7. 3rd Convocation of the 2016 batch
The 3rd Convocation of Sri Sri University was organised on 18th November, 2016. The glittering ceremony was graced by representatives from the industry, academia and the services. The students were awarded their degrees by Poojya Guruji Sri Sri Ravishankarji, Lifetime President of Sri Sri University and Founder of Art of Living and Dr. S.C. Jamir, Chief Guest and Governor of Odisha, in the presence of the Dr. A.L. Rao, President, Sri Sri University; Dr. Nand Lal, Vice-Chancellor, Sri Sri University; and Dr. P. Subbarao, Executive Registrar, Sri Sri University.
Read more about the 2016 Convocation here.
Read VC Dr. Nand Lal's speech here.
8. Graduation Day of Batch - 38 of Vidya (CSTC)
On 31st March 2016, VIDYA (CSTC) has observed its Graduation day ceremony of its 38th Batch of Bar Bending & Steel Fixing students. Honorable Vice Chancellor, SSU, Dr. Nand Lal & Director Operations, Shri Narendra Lamba have inaugurated the event by lighting the lamp. Dr. Lal & Shri Lamba congratulated the graduating students and guided them on how to overcome the upcoming challenges in the new phase of life. 10 Trainees of Batch-38 Graduated from VIDYA (CSTC) and got placed under the sub-Contractor of L&T at Reliance Convention Centre, C-4 “G” Block, BKC Project, Opposite Laxmi Tower, Bandra (East), Mumbai. VIDYA (CSTC) congratulates & wish them all the very best for their bright future..
9. Sri Sri University's Startup Weekend 2016 powered by Google
Startup Weekend Bhubaneswar, powered by Google for Entrepreneurs was hosted at Sri Sri University. Read the coverage in the largest circulated Odia daily, here.
10. Guruji Sri Sri Ravi Shankar honoured with Padma Vibhushan award
Sri Sri University's founder Sri Sri Ravi Shankar ji was felicitated with a Padma Vibhushan award by the Government of India.
11. Sri Sri University receives an award for creating an environment friendly green campus
Sri Sri University receives an award from the Government of Odisha for creating an environment friendly green campus.
The District Administration of Cuttack felicitated Sri Sri University for protecting the environment.