Dr. Soumen Dhara
- Ph.D in Physics, Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati, India
- M.Sc in Applied Physics, Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur, Kolkata, India (present name- IIEST Shibpur)
- B.Sc.(Hons.) major in Physics, Vidyasagar University, Medinipur, India
Teaching, Research and Innovations Research interests: Semiconductor nanostructures and its heterostructures, Solid state lighting and light sensors, Laser spectroscopy of nanomaterials, Thinfilm transistors (TFTs) and Displays
- Professional Activities: $ SERB-NPDF at Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru-560012, India financially supported by SERB, Govt. of India (one year). $ Postdoctoral Research Associate at Cardiff University, Wales and Cambridge University, England, United Kingdom (financially supported by Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, U.K) (two years). $ Postdoctoral Research Associate (PDRA-II) at S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata, India (under Advanced Postdoctoral Manpower Programme fellowship financially supported by DST) (one year). $ JSPS Postdoc at Kobe University, Japan (under the ‘JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Foreign Researchers’ financially supported by Govt. of Japan) (two years). $ Journal Reviewer: Several SCI indexed journals published by IOP, AIP, Elsevier, Springer, ACS and OSA in Materials Science/Applied Physics. $ Editorial Board member in the Journal ‘Advances in Materials’ published by Science Publishing Group, NY, USA (2018). $ Guest Editor in a special issue for the Journal of Nanotechnology published by Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Cairo, Egypt (2016). $ Book Editor in an Edited volume ‘Nanorods and Nanocomposites’ published by InTechOpen publisher, London, UK (2018).
- Research Project handled as PI: 1. Title: Strain engineering and co-doping of inorganic/organic heterostructure nanowires Funding amount: JPY 10 millions (2 years, 2012-2014) Funded by: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science, Govt. of Japan 2. Title: Energy/charge transferring in optically doped inorganic/organic heterostructure nanowires Funding amount: INR 0.650 million (1 year, 2015-2016) Funded by: S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata, India 3. Title: Engineering of amorphous metal oxides thinfilm transistors (TFTs) for high performance photo/image sensors Funding amount: INR 2.2 millions (2 year, 2019-2021) Funded by: SERB, Govt. of India
- Talk Delivered (at): 1. International Conference on Fundamental and Applications of Nanoscience and Technology (ICFANT–2010), December 9, 2010, Kolkata, India. 2. International Conference on Advanced Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology (ICANN-2011), December 9, 2011, Guwahati, India. 3. Associate Laboratory Collaboration Meeting, September 6, 2013, Kobe, Japan. 4. 45th International Conference on Solid State Devices and Materials (SSDM-2013), September 26, 2013, Fukuoka, Japan. 5. Materials Research Society Symposium (MRS Fall-2013), December 2, 2013, Boston, USA. 6. IEEE International NanoElectronic Conference (IEEE INEC-2014), July 30, 2014, Sapporo, Japan. 7. Graduate School of Engineering, Kobe University, October 23, 2014, Kobe, Japan. 8. S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, April 28, 2015, Kolkata, India. 9. Winter School-2015 on Frontier in Materials Sciences, December 10, 2015, JNCASR, Bangaluru, India. 10. School of Physics and Astronomy, Cardiff University, January 11, 2016, Cardiff, United Kingdom. 11. 31st Semiconductor and Integrated Optoelectronic Conference (SIOE-2017), April 20, 2017, Cardiff, United Kingdom. 12. Centre for Advanced Photonics and Electronics (CAPE), Cambridge University, February 16, 2018, Cambridge, United Kingdom. 13. 20th International Workshop on Physics of Semiconductor Devices (IWPSD 2019), December 19, 2019, Kolkata, India.
- Membership in Professional Bodies: 1. Member of Materials Research Society (MRS) Singapore (2011-2013). 2. Member of Materials Research Society (MRS) USA (2013-2014). 3. Member of Materials Research Society of India (MRSI) (Life member). 4. Member of Indian Physics Association (IPA) (Life member). 5. Member of JSPS Alumni Association, Japan (Life member).
- National Postdoctoral fellowship (NPDF) in 2019 from Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Govt. of India.
- Postdoctoral fellowship in 2015 by S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, India financially supported by DST, Govt. of India.
- JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Foreign Researchers in 2012 by Japan Society for Promotion of Science (JSPS), Govt. of Japan.
- International Travel Support in 2011 from Department of Science and Technology (DST), Govt. of India.
- Best Poster Award at International Conference on Advanced Nanomaterials and Nanotechnology (ICANN-2011), 2011.
- Ph.D fellowship (JRF and SRF) in 2007 by Ministry of Human Resource and Development (MHRD), Govt. of India.
- Merit-cum-Means Scholarship in 2005 by Bengal Engineering and Science University, Shibpur, Kolkata, India.
- National Merit Scholarship in 2002 by MHRD, Govt. of India.
- Book Chapter (peer˗reviewed):: 1. Soumen Dhara and P. K. Giri, “ZnO nanorods arrays and heterostructures for the high sensitive UV photodetection”, Nanorods, Ed. Orhan Yalcin, InTech publisher, ISBN 979–953–307–356–8, pp. 1–32 (2012). (Highlighted in ChemInform; ChemInform Abstract: vol. 44 DOI: 10.1002/chin.201345205) 2. Soumen Dhara and Stephen Lynch, “Second harmonic generation in ZnO nanowires”, Nanowires: New Insights, Ed. Khan Maaz, InTech publisher, ISBN 978-953-51-3283-7, pp 31–40 (2017) DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.68150 (Invited Book Chapter). 3. Soumen Dhara “Introductory chapter- Nanorods: Recent advances and future perspective”, Nanorods and Nanocomposites, Ed. Soumen Dhara, InTech publisher, ISBN 978-953-51-6331-2, 2019 (Invited Book Chapter).
- Review Article: 1. Soumen Dhara and P. K. Giri, “ZnO nanowire heterostructures: Intriguing photophysics and emerging applications”, Rev. NanoSci. Nanotechnol. 2, 147–170 (2013). (Invited Review Article)
- Peer˗reviewed SCI/SCOPUS indexed Journal Articles (selected): (Total publications 32) 1. Soumen Dhara, K. M. Niang, A. J. Flewit, Arokia Nathan and S. A. Lynch, “Photoconductive laser spectroscopy as a method to enhance defect spectral signatures in amorphous oxide semiconductor thin-film transistors “, Appl. Phys. Lett. 114, 011907 (2019). I.F-3.521 2. B. Pal, Soumen Dhara, P. K. Giri and D. Sarkar, “Evolution of room temperature ferromagnetism with increasing 1D growth in Ni-doped ZnO nanostructures”, J. Alloys Comp. 647, 558–565, (2015) I.F-4.175 3. Soumen Dhara, Kenji Imakita, P. K. Giri, and Minoru Fujii,”Strain dependence on the nonlinear optical properties of strained Si nanoparticles”, Optics Lett. 39, 3833 (2014). I.F-3.589 4. Soumen Dhara, Kenji Imakita, Minoru Mizuhata, and Minoru Fujii, “Europium doping induced symmetry deviation and its impact on the second harmonic generation of doped ZnO nanowires”, Nanotechnology 25, 225202 (2014). I.F-3.842 5. R. K. Biroju, P. K. Giri, Soumen Dhara, Kenji Imakita, and Minoru Fujii,”Graphene-assisted controlled growth of highly aligned ZnO nanorods and nanoribbons:Growth mechanism and photoluminescence properties”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 6, 377–387 (2014). I.F-8.451 6. Soumen Dhara, Kenji Imakita, P. K. Giri, Minoru Mizuhata, and Minoru Fujii, “Aluminum doped core-shell ZnO/ZnS nanowires: doping and shell layer induced modification on structural and photoluminescence properties”, J. Appl. Phys. 114, 134307 (2013). I.F-2.328 7. Soumen Dhara and P. K. Giri, “ZnO/anthracene based nanowires heterostructure: photoluminescence and photoconductivity studies”, J. Appl. Phys. 111, 044320 (2012). I.F-2.328 8. Soumen Dhara and P. K. Giri, “Organic CuPc coating induced improved photoluminescence and photoconductivity of ZnO nanowires array”, Funct. Mater. Lett. 5, 1250021 (2012). I.F-2.671 9. Soumen Dhara and P. K. Giri, “Stable p˗type conduction and enhanced photoconductivity from nitrogen˗doped ZnO thin films”, Thin Solid Films 520, 5000–5006 (2012). I.F-1.909 10. Soumen Dhara and P. K. Giri, “Enhanced UV photosensitivity from rapid thermal annealed vertically aligned ZnO nanowires”, Nanoscale. Res. Lett. 6, 504 (2011). I.F-3.150 11. Soumen Dhara and P. K. Giri, “Shape evolution in one-dimensional ZnO nanostructure grown from ZnO nanopowder source: vapour-liquid-solid vs. vapour-solid growth mechanisms”, Int. J. Nanosci. 10, 75–79 (2011). (Selected for journal cover illustration) 12. Soumen Dhara and P. K. Giri, “Size–dependent visible absorption and fast photoluminescence decay dynamics from strained silicon nanocrystals”, Nanoscale Res. Lett. 6, 320 (2011). I.F-3.150 13. Soumen Dhara and P. K. Giri,”Quick single˗step mechanosynthesis of ZnO nanorods and their optical characterization: milling time dependence”, Appl. Nanosci. 1, 165–171 (2011). I.F-3.325 14. P. K. Giri, Soumen Dhara and Ritun Chakraborty, “Effect of ZnO seed layer on the catalytic growth of vertically aligned ZnO nanorods arrays”, Mat. Chem. Phys.122, 18–22 (2010). I.F-2.210