- MA (English), Utkal University
- MA TESOL and Applied Linguistics, University of London
- PG Diploma in Teaching English, English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad, India
- MPhil, Phonetics & Linguistics, English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad, India
- PhD in Phonology, Utkal University, India
What subject you teach at SSU ?
English literature, Linguistics, Morphology
- TCTP (Full scholarship of the British Government to study MA (Applied linguistics & TESOL), University of London, UK
- Ray Tongue Award for best research paper, IATEFL International Conference, Cardiff, UK
- Teaching grants to teach EFL in Portugal and Singapore
Life Member: IATEFL, UK; TESOL, USA; ELTAI, India; ELTIF, India; EFLU Alumni Association
- Nursery rhymes for cognitive development: From listening comprehension to maths skills (2015), in Early Childhood Education in English for Speakers of Other Languages. OUP, UK, 2015
- Grammar for Fluency and/or Accuracy: Is there a choice in ELL? (2013), Dimensions of Linguistics and Language Teaching for New Millennium Learners. McGraw Hill Education Pvt Ltd, India
- Incorporating Learning Strategies into YL ESL Curriculum (2012), In Starting, Stimulating and Sustaining English Language Teacher Education. British Council, UK
- Published 33 textbooks with Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press and Orient Blackswan
- Co-Author of Oxford English-English-Odia Dictionary (to be launched)
Research Articles: International publications iii. Research Papers published in international journals
- Narrative Intelligence and Pedagogical Success of ESL Teachers, (2015 Paper Proceedings) Second International Conference on Language, Literature & Community – ISBN 978-955-4543-26-3.
- Striving for Fluency through Accuracy- A Blend of Choices (2014), Asia TEFL Journal, February 2014. https://www.google.co.in/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=%E2%80%A2+Striving+for+Fluency+through+Accuracy-+A+Blend+of+Choices+(2014)%2C+Asia+TEFL+Journal%2C+February+2014
- Technology Use in ESL and Professional Development of Teachers (2014) https://utkaluniversityutkaluniversity.academia.edu/KalyaniSamantray/Papers. January 2014
- Need for instruction in persuasive communication for business management students: A study in the Indian context (2012). Asian Journal of Management Research, Volume 2 Issue 2. ISSN 2229 – 3795 http://www.ipublishing.co.in/ajmrvol1no1//voltwo/EIJMRS2074.pdf
- Comics as Frames of references (2011), Selections, IATEFL, Garnet Publication: UK
- Multiple Intelligences & ESL Teaching (2009). In Young Learner English Language Policy & Implementation; IATEFL Young Learner SIG, Kent, UK.
- Teaching Speaking (2009) http://bettereflteacher.blogspot.in/2009/05/teaching-speaking.html?showComment=1316359524601#c9185777904710252732 and Yemen Times http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1260&p=education&a=1
- Teaching listening for better communication (July 2007). Yemen Times, Yemen Times
- Designing a communicative syllabus for the tertiary level (August 2007). Yemen Times, Yemen
- Teaching English Pronunciation (Part 1) (12 Dec 2005). Yemen Times, Yemen.
- Teaching English Pronunciation (Part 2) (26 Dec 2005). Yemen Times, Yemen.
- Being a teacher educator (1999). IATEFL Journal, issue no. 39, UK
Research papers and other materials published in Indian peer reviewed journals
- Literature as Resource: A Functional ELL Pedagogy (2017). Journal of English Language Teachers’ Interaction Forum, International Conference Special Issue. ELTIF: Kerala
- Cross-cultural and Intercultural Pragmatics (2015). e-Pathshala materials for Postgraduate students, University Grants Commission, Government of India
- Vocabulary: Getting Meaning from Context (2015). Journal of Odisha Board of Secondary Education, Diamond Jubilee Special Edition. Government of Odisha.
- Foreword, Teaching of English: Research and Applications (2015). PUDU Books: Puduchery.
- Post-CLT attitudes towards the functions and the teaching of grammar (2013) Languaging, EFL University, Hyderabad
- Teacher Professional Development Requirements in the 21st Century (2013), ELTIF Journal, Puduchery
- Learning Styles and Learning Tools (2013), Special Edition, SBW College Centenary Publication
- Phonological awareness & learning of spelling in ESL (2009). The Journal of English & Foreign Languages, English & Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad
- Alternative Assessment Techniques: A shift in perspectives and practice (2008). In The English Classroom, RIESI, Bangalore
- Comics & ESL literacy (2007). The Journal of English Language Teaching, Chennai
- Discourse features of comics as texts (2006). Focus on ELT, vol. 26, no.2. Regional Institute of English, Chandigarh
- Writing Workshop (2006). Proceedings of UGC Seminar-Workshop, Dept of English, Prananath Autonomous College, Khurda, Odisha
- Using short answers to write long answers (2005). ELTI Newsletter, vol.5, no. 1
- Writing short & long answers to examination questions (2004). ELTI Newsletter, vol.4, no. 3.
- Words: Do our learners know them? (2004). ELTI Newsletter, vol. 4, no.2
- Teachers & group-work in ELT classrooms: A study of teacher attitude (2000). In The Language Curriculum:
- Dynamics of Change, Orient Longman
- Planning for the learner (2000). ELTI Newsletter, vol.2, nos. 1 & 2. • Use of dictionary as a better tool for pronunciation (2000). ELTI Newsletter, vol.3, 2.
- Classroom management (1999). ELTI Newsletter, vol.2, nos. 1 & 2.
- Language games: Listening & Speaking (1998). ELTI Newsletter, vol.1, no. 2.
- To read or not to read (aloud)? (1998). ELTINewsletter, vol.1, no. 1.
- The language of children’s literature & its use for young learners (1995). The English Classroom, Regional Institute of English, Bangalore.
- Group/Cooperative Learning: What could go wrong? (1995). The Journal of English Language Teaching, Chennai. vol. 41/3
- Pair work – Some practical hints (1994). Selections on Language Education, ELT Movement, Bhubaneswar.
- A few reflections on Practice Teaching (1993). The Pedagogue, ELTI, Bhubaneswar
- Some ways to expose vocabulary (1990). ELTI Working Papers
- Interaction in an ESL classroom: A case-study of conversation patterns (1989). ELTI Working Papers
- Some observations on the phonological patterns of Oriya speakers’ English (1988). ELTI Working Papers.
Other research activities
- Article Editor, Sage Open, Sage Publication Inc, USA
- Article Editor, Journal of Indian Education, and Indian Education Review. NCERT, New Delhi
- Coordinator, ELT e-Reading Group, Argentina. http://englishlit-pilar.blogspot.in/
- Materials Producer & Materials Reviewer, Netaji Subhas Open University, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Materials Producer & Materials Reviewer, Odisha State Open University, Odisha
- Teacher Educator, Oxford University Press, India; UGC; Council for Higher secondary Education, & Department of Higher Education, Government of Odisha; BPUT, Odisha; IGNOU; NCERT; and British Council
- Member, Board of Studies (English): CV Raman Institute of Engineering & Technology Life Member: IATEFL, UK; TESOL, USA; ELTAI, India; ELTIF, India; EFLU Alumni Association