BSc (Hons.) Horticulture
- The global demand for food and land produce will continue to grow and solutions to manage resources better need to be found. Our curriculum closes this gap for it offers the opportunity to adopt a scientific approach and develop the business skills you will need to succeed in the commercial horticultural sector.
- The course integrates the basic sciences, humanities, horticulture, allied sciences and also includes horticultural engineering. This enables you to acquire knowledge and skills to develop technology and/or processes to increase both the production and productivity of horticulture and other farms produce through efficient utilization and conservation of natural resources.
- B.Sc (Hons.) in Horticulture at our campus aims at creating human resources with informed knowledge and technical skills to empower the agriculture sector for tomorrow.
- Predictive projections indicate that agriculture will be requiring skilled manpower to revive farming activities. The technical course aims at filling the gap by creating skilled professionals who go back to practicing farming, create their own start-up companies, or serve the government in various capacities.
- Bachelor of Science (Hons.) in Horticulture is administered for 4 years and spreads across 8 semesters.
- In each semester, students learn theoretical and conceptual aspects of various interdisciplinary courses. They are exposed to hands-on practical topics that range from 10- 12 themes in each course. Students learn through the presentation of assigned topics during the course to develop an overall comprehension of the course curricula. Students undergo practical training placement with the farmers through the RAWE program (Rural Agricultural Work Experience). This program is the basis for pragmatic training that exposes students to the rural lifestyle in areas such as agriculture and livelihood systems, socio-economic conditions of the farmers, and their problems that relate to modern agricultural development.
- The outreach program embedded into the course curriculum also helps students develop communication skills and build problem-solving competence. Such pedagogy imparts abilities to diagnose and develop problem-solving skills relevant to the real-time problems of the agriculture sector.
- Students also participate in a custom-designed internship program to provide practical exposure to agriculture-based companies, rural cottage industries, research institutions, service-providing extension institutions, NGOs involved in the training and building of the rural economy and technologies support companies under Hands-on Training (HOT) and Agro-Industrial Attachment (AIA) program.
- Under the HOT program, students will be provided practical knowledge and training on specific topics to develop skillsets to initiate start-up companies under the guidance of a faculty member of the university.
- Students also participate in all-India and state educational tours, that provide exposure to State Agricultural Universities and ICAR governed research institutions and their functioning. They also have a chance to interact with invited experts on topical issues relevant to agriculture and be a part of the team organizing the workshop or training program as and when they are organized.
- During the 4-year term, the curriculum of B.Sc. (Hons.) in Horticulture provides exposure to inter-disciplinary courses and pragmatic training.
The career avenues after BSc (Hons.) Horticulture are as follows:
- Project Manager
- Horticultural Education Supervisor
- Agriculture Inspector
- Plant Health Care Manager
- Seed Analyst
- Soil Scientist
- Commercial Maintenance Manager
- Irrigation Manager
- Pest Manager
- Enhancement Manager and many more
COURSE FACT SHEET
10+2 examination (science with PCB/PCM) from a recognised board with a minimum of 50% score
What People Say About Us
We needed more experienced people from India. Therefore, we visited Sri Sri University. After my visit I was very impressed by the total i.e. the location, the knowledge and the atmosphere. I met 10 students and they pitched their ideas to me, which they did really well. I was really impressed by the management and the things they said which I was recollecting all my way back and which will remain with me all my life.Ms. Anja Jessurun Director Shankara,
Health and Wellness by Ayurveda Netherlands,
Mr. Kishan is a work dedicated guy who quickly understood what the expectations were from the project & put all efforts to achieve the same. He was punctual throughout the SIP. The most important thing is, even not being from engineering background, he grasped the project so quickly and delivered it very well. This speaks of his dedication and commitment for the work.Mr. Sourabh Sharma Manager Supply Chain Maruti Suzuki India Ltd
This is a University for the future where everyone has a right share of economic, spiritual and social well-being. I am so impressed by this campus because it isn’t a clone of what is being taught everywhere else. It is connecting the ancient values to the needs of the present.Vandana Shiva, Social ActivistAuthor
I am quite impressed with facilities, cordial staff and highly talented faculty members here. They have very unique programs. I am quite impressed with campus infrastructure and integrated programs they are running right now. I wish them luck for the Ayurveda hospital!Dr. Vijay, Professor University of Hyderabad
I found the campus quite beautiful and serene. Around here, it is a different kind of experience. It is away from hustle and bustle of city near Cuttack and Bhubaneswar. If you want to do meditation or spend some time to do some serious work like writing, thinking, contemplating, this is a wonderful place.Vinish Kasturia Mathematics Professor, IIT
Applications for 2021 Open